Trump says Ed Martin, pardon attorney, is departing DOJ

Trump said Martin is leaving his post as pardon attorney at the DOJ.

ByABC NEWSABCNews logo
Friday, August 21, 2026 10:04PM
ABC News Live
Watch ABC News live news stream and get 24/7 latest, breaking news coverage, and live video.

President Donald Trump announced Friday that Ed Martin, pardon attorney at the Department of Justice, is leaving his post.

"Ed is now leaving to go outside to fight Legal Battles for the upcoming Midterm Election, and the Presidential Election of 2028. I know he will do an outstanding job, ensure Free, Fair, and Honest Elections, and strongly advance our Constitutional Rights," Trump wrote in a social media post.

Martin previously served as the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia from January to May 2025. But his temporary appointment to be Washington's top prosecutor ended after Martin didn't gain enough support from Republicans in Congress for his confirmation.

After that, Martin took on a handful of senior roles at the Justice Department before he was effectively demoted to pardon attorney. In his role as pardon attorney, Martinrecommendedcontroversial clemency recommendations to the White House.

Martin also faced anethics complaintfrom the Washington, D.C., bar in January 2026 after allegations that he threatened to withhold federal funding to Georgetown University's law school and tried to sideline an investigation into his conduct when he served as U.S. attorney, according to the disciplinary petition.

Martin alsosuggestedin public comments in 2025 that he would use his role as pardon attorney to investigate the pardons that former President Joe Biden issued to his family and some staff as he left office.

Martin reposted Trump's announcementon his X accountFriday afternoon and wrote, "Proud to serve. Fight Fight Fight."

Copyright © 2026 ABC News Internet Ventures.